Key highlights from this year’s Africa Day.
- Keynote address given by Rwanda high commissioner to South Africa Vincent Karega
- Highlighting the opportunities that infrastructure had to offer, Karega pointed out that, as infrastructure was labour- intensive, it increased the rate of employment and stimulated financing and the upskilling of labour.
- The free trade area in East Africa will give companies access to 300-million people [in the region]
- Growth in the economy is matched or slightly exceeding growth of expenditure on items like cement and other materials necessary to establish infrastructure in a country.
- Africa has a population exceeding one-billion people and it is well placed as an emerging market, keen for investment and growth.
- It has also successfully maintained an average growth rate of 4% for the past few years as a continent.
- World Bank reports show that Africa’s inter-regional trade is only around 10% of its total trade in comparison to about 40% in the US and 60% in Western Europe.
For further insight – http://www.africainvestor.com/article.asp?id=11769Africa