How to Ensure Your Complete Gas Safety as a Commercial Catering Business


I like this.

Be Sociable, Share!


If you are involved in the commercial catering industry, then you know very well how important safety is. This not only includes the actual safety of the food you provide to your customers – this also includes your own, your staff’s, and your customers’ safety when it comes to gas installations and appliances in your premises.

As a commercial caterer, you have certain responsibilities when it comes to gas safety. Knowing what you are required to do and what is required of you can make a big difference in how you operate. So what should you keep in mind in regards to gas safety as a commercial caterer? Here is your essential guide:

Your responsibility

Under the law, you are required to make sure that any type of gas appliance you use and any gas flue or pipework you have is in a safe and secure condition in order to prevent accident or injury. Now the big question is, how do you make sure of this? First of all, the gas appliances and equipment you have should be installed, maintained, and serviced only by an engineer who is on the Gas Safe register. Furthermore, you may be asked to present due proof that this has been the case. The proof you can present if there is an inspection is paperwork which clearly shows that the gas and appliances are regularly serviced (at least once a year) by a qualified engineer.

What to expect from your Gas Safe registered engineer

Once the work has been done by the engineer, you should make it a point to ask them for the record of safety of the work they have done. They should be able to present you with a document specifying what has been done in order for you to confirm that the gas appliances in your business premises are completely safe.

Keep in mind that not all engineers are qualified for all types of gas work. There are some who may only be qualified to work in a specific type of catering business (for instance, a fish & chip shop), whilst there are some who are qualified to work in a mobile catering enterprise. There are also those who are qualified to work with specific gas installations and appliances (natural gas, LPG), and so on. This should all be clearly stated at the back of their Gas Safe register ID. Look only for qualified commercial catering engineers, such as those from, but make sure they can perform work on your specific gas appliances as well.

If you want to make completely sure regarding the type of work the engineer can do and their qualifications, you can also check their information at the Gas Safe register website or by giving the Gas Safe Register service a ring.

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: , , , ,

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


Subscribe without commenting

Join Oxstones Investment Club's Daily Newsletter